Monday, June 10, 2013

The legacy

Passing on a legacy... From grandmother to granddaughter, father to son, aunt to nephew, or sister to sister, we all have legacies handed around within our families.  Tomorrow, I attempt to pass on a legacy to my sister and cousin.  The legacy of Cobber Nation.

I am bringing my sister and cousin to a college tour at the school I can now call myself an alumni of, Concordia College.  When I went for my first college visit, I went with my dad over MEA weekend and spent the night with a student, Gabriella, and her boyfriend Andrew along with a prospie (short for prospective student).  We played ultimate frisbee and watched The Italian Job, and I loved it.  The reception I received from them was so wonderful, and I wasn't even a student but I felt so welcome and accepted.  My dad tried to convince me to do an overnight at other schools to get the full experience, but it didn't happen.  I came back in June for summer orientation (which is happening this week but not tomorrow) and loved it even more.  Now I am taking the girls in hopes that they will follow in my footsteps and choose to follow Kernel Cobb in their college journeys.

It might get interesting, because I know half of what the tour guides will say.  This is the highest point on campus and this is the lowest, both man made.  This is the Korn Krib, it's like a convenient store. The Maize has the best fries ever!  These are the statues of Ole and Lena, and that one is Chocolate Man.

But they won't hear about the theater ghost Al who ruins the plays if you don't include him in the program, or Dolly who threw herself from the window of Old Main.  They won't hear about the secret tunnels that run from building to building (a fact confirmed by my professor) and the alleged rape that kept them from being used as shortcuts in the winter.  They won't hear about how they tried to nickname the cafeteria as ACDC, or the ducks that live on campus in the spring and fall (the original couple was named Lunch and Dinner, their new friends from this past year are Breakfast and Snack).  Or the squirrels, those crazy squirrels. 

Personally I am excited to tour the new business school.  I entered it twice, once looking for the new skyway entrance and another time searching for a professor's office.  We had Bill Gates (yea that one) come for the awesome opening ceremony (unfortunately I worked the lunch shift during the ceremony and had many of my student workers missing... Grumble...) and it has become a big deal, but I didn't have the opportunity to learn much about it.

Perhaps my story will convince the girls to chose Concordia, my brand new alma mater.  Perhaps they will join in the Ludefisk chant at homecoming, bring their boyfriends under the bell tower, and spend their days studying at the Carl B.  I hope the girls love the school as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. Go Cobbs! I hope the girls find everything they're looking for. Take them through the theatre for me!

    ReplyDelete